- Drag & Drop Site Builder
- Get your business or project online with ease
- Powering over 1 million websites since 1998.
- FREE domain for a year*, 24/7 support, SSL certificate included, 99.9% uptime
- 14 Day Free Trial. Plans Starting From $72/Month.
- AI-Powered Optimization that Matches Visitors to the Best Page.
- Total Design Freedom With Wix Editor
- Mobile Optimized
- Sign up now and get a FREE domain
- Design your new website in minutes
- Drag, drop, and publish. It really is that simple.
- Start your site for $3.84/month
- Perfect for small businesses
- No coding knowledge needed
- Friendly customer support to help with any questions
- Easy Website Builder; Build and publish a great looking website in minutes with our drag-&-drop design tool.
- Personalized Email; Reinforce your brand with a personalized email address that matches your domain
- Award-Winning Website Design
- 24/7 Support
- By far the easiest free website builder
- Pick from beautiful website templates
- the world’s most popular website builder - 37% of the web is built on WordPress
- Build a site. Sell your stuff. Start a blog. And so much more
What is website builder? How does website builder work?
Here’s Wikipedia’s definition:
Website builders are tools that allow the construction of websites without manual code editing.
In other words, a website builder is a program, or tool, that help you build a website.
In this article, we will take a look at the different types of website builders, but our focus will mainly be on online website builders. We will also look at how online website builders work.
Types of website builders
There are two main types of website builders: offline and online
Offline Website Builders
Offline website builders come as software programs that you download and install on your computer. You will build your website and save your files on your computer, and when your website is ready, all you need to do is upload all your website files to a web host.
One advantage of such website builders is that the software is running on your computer so you can work on your website even if you are offline. But because you will need to upload your files to a web host, you will need to have at least some technical skills or experience. You will also need to purchase a web hosting account in additional to the website builder software.
Online Website Builders
Online website builders are web-based and run on the provider’s service. Unlike offline website builders, you don’t need to download or install the software on your computer – all you need is a web browser (ie. Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer) and an Internet connection. This allows you to work on your website from anywhere and any device. Another benefit is that the website builder comes with web hosting services so you don’t need to purchase it and/or set it up separately. Many online website builders are designed for people with little or no coding experience.
How does an online website builder work?
Online website builders are designed to be very easy to use, allowing anyone – beginners or experienced designers – to create an entire website within minutes using a drag-and- drop editor. Users build a website simply by dragging elements and dropping them to the desired location, no coding knowledge or experience is required. It’s as easy as moving file icons on your computer.